prabāt

where the mind is without fear...


first sights and sounds

The flight
That was the first of my life. The ascent of the flight made me feel like ascending in a lift. Well, that’s what you call the typical Indian-middle-class mind set. Take him in a Boeing 747 and he would still compare with the lift that takes him to the second floor of the 3-storey building next to his home. Give him a crore rupees, he would still bargain to buy a kilogram of potato.

The country
Haven't seen anything away from the city I'm put up right now. So, no comments.

The city
Clean roads. There are not even people on the road. Ok, I’m exaggerating. So, here goes, there is one human on road for every 100 cars.
Big malls. They have everything you need. And they have so much that there is really no need for smaller shops down the road. And if you know Bangalore, its like going from Shivaji Nagar to Indira Nagar for a cup of coffee.

The people
Hard to find many outside the malls and office. But as such, they have a deep sense of respect for foreigners (that’s me, I’m a foreigner!) especially Indians. And a lot of patience to cope with the different accents.

The food
There is life for vegetarians after all! I tried the only veggie item in the pizza menu and tried eating with a plastic fork and knife like the three American colleagues sitting around me. After a few minutes of acting funny, fooling around with the knife stuck in the pizza slice and trying desperately to hide my histrionics, I gave it up and started using my palm to hold the pizza slice in the most artistic of fashions and took a delicate bite off the thick upper crust with a stance of an amazingly precise handiwork. That felt more like eating!

The feeling
Yeh jo des hai tera, swades hai tera, tujhe hai pukaara…
Yeh woh bandhan hai joh kabhi toot nahin sakta

Mitti ki jho khushboo, thu kaise bhulayega
Thu chaahe kahin jaaye, thu laut ke aayega
Nayi nayi raahon mein, dabi dabi aahon mein
Khoye khoye dilse tere, koyi ye kahega
Yeh jo des hai tera, swades hai tera, tujhe hai pukaara…
Yeh woh bandhan hai joh kabhi toot nahin sakta

And now I understand why Mohan Bhargava missed Gita!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
|